Monday, March 23, 2009

Determination: 2 Cor 3:17


What is it exactly? "The act of deciding definitely and firmly. Firm or fixed intention to achieve a desired goal. It's what we are taught to do from time we are children and what we hopefully pass on to our children. Work hard, don't give up, mind over body, etc. It's in the words of coaches, teachers, parents, friends, and conscience. no one wants to be a quitter. Nobody wants the reputation of being someone that people can't depend on to finish things. People want to be accomplished, whether the task is big or small. I think it's important for us as humans to accomplish things, and to make sure that our loved ones accomplish things as well. It takes a toll on people...being some one who can't finish things. Obviously it feels easier, but how many people wish there mom hadn't let them stop piano as a child? we need to be the one to push those we care about to completion, and in turn surround yourself with people who, in times of your own weakness, will push you, and not accept 90% It sounds harsh at times, and obviously people go overboard and priorities get skewed, but as I worm my way through college, I can't help but stop and examine myself...Am i the quitter...or am I the finisher? When i look back on my time at University will I be proud, or full of regret.
I was online research how to get some jobs I'm interested in pursuing after college, and even with a degree and experience there are no shoo-ins. We aren't entitled to anything, and we aren't guaranteed or promised anything either. As i look at the jobs I secretly desire, I become full of concern and second guesses...What if after $50,000 dollars in college fees, $15,000 in loans, ten years of internships and stepping stones, I still never get that job i dreamed about as a twenty year old. I think back on all those motivational people in my life that said "If you put your mind to it, you will achieve your goals." Did they mean it? Did it work for them, so they think it works for everyone? Were they just being nice, and trying to encourage people or say what they were "supposed to say." What if that's a lie? What about all the people who do give everything they have and still don't accomplish there goals? what about those people?
Who am I, which person am I? Which person are you?

One thing I do believe and a quote that I hold very near and dear to my heart is: "Amateurs practice until they get it right, champions practice until they can't get it wrong."

1 comment: