Thursday, March 26, 2009

battle of the political parties

today i had a conversation with a room full of some of the most conservative republicans i know. conservatives from a small, white, middle class town and of course, we discussed political issues. These were christian conservatives, who i once agreed with. being from the same small town, and being in there same christian circle for 16 years of my life i thought almost identically. I was warned in high school about liberals, and professors who would brainwash me and corrupt my value system and my morals. I went to college very secure in my conservative christian mindset, and was ready with 16 years of republican apologetics, catch phrase, misconceptions, and misguided views. Quickly i was set straight. i don't consider myself a "liberal" but i'm definitely more liberal than any of my friends from home, and tonight i saw the scope of that. and after debating/arguing (call it what you will) for over two hours (often defending liberal ideas i don't agree with simply because i want them to understand how other people from different walks of life think) i understood how different we've become. how much i've changed, and how much they haven't, but not only haven't, but how much they are unwilling to even consider. I often would say "you don't have to agree, but just listen and learn" often to be cut off mid-sentence....obviously what i had to say wasn't as important as telling my crazy things like (and i quote) "george bush didn't put us in debt, that was bill clinton..."...i realized that i simply could not continue to engage in conversation when that's how far off they were...
i'm still a christian, a practice, jesus loving, god serving, song singing, bible reading christian (although after tonight many of my old friends aren't sure, and are probably going to schedule a prayer meeting for me, unfortunately i'm not joking or being sarcastic i was told mulitple times that they would be praying i "find the truth again." i'm just in shock somedays...i can't take it...someone please give me a hand, some encouragement

3 comments:

  1. You should watch the movie "Saved". It reminds me of myself growing up in a Christian setting and how sometimes even the best and well meaning Christians lose sight of what is really important.
    Some Christians are so caught up in their own "holiness" that they can't see the people they are hurting with their purposeful ignorance. God says to be as "...wise as serpents, but gentle as doves...". It's alright to perceive other beliefs with an open mind without accepting it.
    Besides, I think that looking at other ways of thinking and beliefs can make one a stronger Christian. Look at a true Atheist, for instance. A REAL Atheist has thoroughly studied ALL religions, cults, views, and followings...and has decided that he/she disagrees. If a teenager tells me he's an Atheist, I say, "No, you're just lazy and ignorant." He hasn't done enough homework to be able to claim the title of a TRUE Atheist.
    So then, what is the description of a true Christian? I'm not saying that a person can't be a Christian until that person has looked at EVERY OTHER WAY first, but it doesn't hurt to read up on other religions so that one can UNDERSTAND and EXPAND their knowledge about their OWN personal beliefs.
    A person can't decide they are a Republican or a Democrat before first examining the other Parties. Likewise, I believe that a person can't decide that they are a Christian or an Atheist before they understand that the way they believed or were told before was disagreeable.
    Everybody has to start somewhere. Everybody has to FORM an opinion. What formed my opinions? Did I read about it? Did someone tell me? Did I realize it suddenly as I matured and experienced life? YES YES YES! DON'T STOP LEARNING because you think you know it all NOW. If you are the kind of person who thinks that they have it all figured out and don't need to listen anymore, then I consider you USELESS. Please go find a river and put a hole in it. :)

    ...well, it's 12:39am where I live and I'm going to sleep. Good writing, Hakim. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh P.S. I use the term "you" LOOSELY and generally and I'm not really talking about YOU, Hakim. Of course, you are the only one who knows if I was actually talking about "you", now aren't you...

    ...food for thought!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so thankful you've had the opportunity to be "corrupted" while away at college. I, for one, will be praying that you continue to be exposed to more and more ideas, and that you faithfully sort through them all with an opened mind. Truth is found all over.

    ReplyDelete