Tuesday, April 28, 2009

conflicting passion


to often as i watch videos on youtube of professional performance, i'm astounded. On this planet is so many talented human beings. I am forever grateful for the portal that youtube provides me. Being unable to afford or be in the vicinity of that kind of talent, i'm grateful for the provisions youtube allots to me. That being said, i wonder where i fit into this conglomeration of talent. this web of musical genius. what is my role, how much will i chose to be apart of that world? growing up performing and receiving musical training a seed was planted. not so much a seed, as it as a surge of passion and energy, that is often dormant, but occasionally finds it's outlet and lets lose on my mind, heart, and soul. i can not describe my envy sometimes when i see others performing. i wish i could observe with nothing but grateful eyes, but more often then not i'm consumed with jealously and a desire to be apart of that world. I wonder what it is. is that my calling in life, i don't think so. not because i'm not passionate about it, but i feel that i have other passions that are more constantly overtaking me internally.
now i know a first reaction to statements like these is "you can have more than one passion" and i do. but, to what extent do i persue my talents. i suppose that's part of what everyone has to go through when we set out to "define ourselves" or "figure out who we are." maybe i should focus more on appreciating the fact that i have the option to decide what passion i chose to pursue with my entirety. But maybe my own personal conflict of passions is a bigger issue, the actual issue.
how does one decide which passion he or she is going to dedicate there life to pursuing. is it really possible to pursue two passions with equal vigor, giving both your 110% dedication? if so, how much does one miss out on because they don't believe that to be possible. If not, how much does one miss out on never becoming fully devoted to one thing.
are we supposed to choose one? are we expected to be dedicated to one thing solely? my first answer is of course not. But then why do we so often feel pressure to choose? why do we so often feel so much pressure to decided. why are people given a bad rep. if they are "spread to thin" who decides when you are spread to thin? is it a personal decision or is there really a limit, a recommended dosage of passion
what do you think?

2 comments:

  1. What I find interesting is not how many passions a person pursues but if they choose one at all. So many of us are looked down upon by loving what we do, especially in the worlds of sports, the performing arts, and even journalism or blogging. I was taught that these were supposed to be nice "hobbies", but not something that a person devotes their whole life to (which is strange, as my mother shoved me into the music business and was then completely surprised that I wanted to major in Music Theatre...)

    I for one am sick of being told that I must have something to "fall back on" if my "hobby" fails. So many people sacrifice their dreams to satisfy their parents or teachers by getting a "real" job, and then one day they open their eyes to see that they have been living someone else's idea of a life for years. The only reason why there would be a limit to more than one passion in life is if your physical body cannot handle the excitement (believe me, it happens).

    I say, this is your life. Go for it! You only get one.
    I hope this makes any sense...

    "Sometimes when you dream, your dreams come true. In extraordinary ways, suddenly a day can seem so amazing. And sometimes when you yearn, you burn the air! And someone else feels the flame you always knew was there."
    (Little Women Musical)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caroline, thank you SO much for bringing up the "fall back plan". I've been reading through a great book called The Journey of Desire by John Eldredge that talks about how so often we kill our passions to replace them with the "sure fire" can't fail, money making "fall back plan". And thus, we may miss our calling. Yes, I believe God is faithful to bless us in whatever we do as long as we submit ourselves to him. But I think our submission should lead us to our true passions and his true plans--because that's why he gave them to us, right? There's a verse in Proverbs that basically says "make preparations, but remember God has the last word". If by making preparations, you decide to pursue a passion, gift or hobby, remember that God may change that direction, or even ask you to pursue a different one. Of if by making preparations, you decide to follow your back up plan, be flexible for God to take you out of that safety net and put you somewhere else. As cliche as it may sound, I think His direction is the ultimate decision maker on what we pursue and don't pursue, and when, and how.

    ReplyDelete